Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Amalfi Coast - Day 15 of MPC



My absolute favorite place to visit is the Amalfi Coast in Italy. It's an incredible drive by bus around the steep and winding cliff-side roads, with breathtaking views all around.

The towns are big tourist attractions. There is just something so quaint about the buildings all clustered together on a hill. At certain locations, there are mini-replicas of the towns displayed in carved-out sections of the hill. They also grow lemons everywhere, so the fresh light scent of lemons is present when you pass through this area. It's no wonder that when I see blue and yellow color combinations, I think of this place.


The town of Amalfi is my favorite stop, with it's wonderful, little shops, gelato stands, and the square with the Apostle Andrew's statue. I'm not sure what the exact connection is with St. Andrew to Amalfi, but it may have something to do with part of his remains given to them. Amalfi has done much to honor the Apostle.

Here you can see St. Andrew's Cathedral in the background.



And here is my favorite little store that specializes in limoncello (a lemon liquor). I think that's the shopkeeper in front of his store. Although I don't drink, there are other plenty of other items to purchase... such as lemon white chocolates, lemon-scented soaps, hand creams, perfume, and many other things.

No comments: